Saturday, August 24, 2013

Everything is an Emergency....

Everything is an emergency....

......when you are a preschooler living with sensory processing disorder.

One of my favorite books is Parts written by Tedd Arnold. In this book, a small boy is upset because he thinks his body is falling apart. It turns out that his parents forgot to tell him that it is normal to lose teeth, have ear wax, and have skin peel away from your body at times. This story always made my kindergarten students laugh because they have also wondered about such things.

The story also rings true in my own home. Today, while preparing dinner, my older children and I heard my son screaming from the other room. He was sitting and playing with blocks when I went into the kitchen, two feet away, to get dinner ready. Once I turned the corner and saw him screaming, I thought perhaps he had injured himself. It turns out that he had chosen to pick at a scab on his ankle and it opened up. His ankle began to bleed thus creating a hysterical child situation that lasted for around thirty minutes.

Many children would be upset about a scab bleeding if it was the first time it happened or if they were worried about the blood so my son is not the only child who would react this way. Most children would calm down quickly once they knew a parent or guardian was on the case. My son just kept screaming and basically not making sense to me. Eventually he let me carry him to another room and set him on a chair so I could get a better look and clean up his then bloody foot as well. He refused a band aid, but eventually let me carry him back to his play area, because he simply could not walk in his opinion. After an hour, he decided he could walk again, thank goodness.

He is very dramatic about everything. After all, in his mind EVERYTHING is an emergency. Hugs and love to everyone out there who has a child with similar behaviors. It is not easy to be empathetic all the time, but you can do it. The empathy and effort are worth your time in the long run. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment