Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Adventures in Grocery Shopping: Shopping with a Sensory Child

Here is a list of things that happened today while my youngest child and I were at the grocery store.

1. He climbed the cart.
2. He climbed me.
3. He shouted, though he didn't realize it was shouting. People smiled because it is still cute for a three year old to sing loudly in a store for a short time.
4. He laid in the floor.
5. He sang a quiet song after being reminded of his whisper voice which is really closer to my normal voice.
6. He threw his body on the floor and banged his head and hands on purpose because we could not purchase the juice size that eh wanted. It was the same brand and flavor, just not the same size. Apparently I was wrong to buy the larger size.
7.  I carried him for a few aisles.
8. He got down and ran full force up and down an empty aisle.
9. He organized the single soda bottles because they were not arranged to his liking. An older gentleman smiled and complimented my child on helping. (Thank you, sir! I appreciate the positive reinforcement!)
10. He shouted at me in a loud and screeching voice about the type of vegetables he wanted. He then backed away from me and fell on top of the cart wheel. He then cried and screeched more as he complained about vegetables AND falling down. (Yes, I scooped him up and held him for a bit while he calmed down.)
11. Eventually we made it to the paper towel aisle and dog food aisle. He then chose to walk backwards, not sure why, while singing and chattering. A lovely older woman giggled and said something kind, though I don't remember what at this time.
12. We went to the checkout area. He helped to use the coupons, pay, and chatted with the cashier. This may seem normal, but for a long time he ran screaming if anyone was a few feet from him. The cashier was closer than that.
13. He sang a LOUD song on the way to the car. It was titled "Heavy" because I said the cart was heavy.
14. We went home and I rested.

It was a fairly easy trip, to be honest. Busy, but not as busy as past trips. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment