Tuesday, November 6, 2012

GMO Labeling

Gmo, genetically modified organism, labeling is important to everyone whether they know it or not. It is even more important to my family than most people realize. My son breaks out when he eats strawberries and corn. Corn also gives him behavior problems. I have written about this issue, as well as his sensory problems lessening with diet changes, many times before today. It turns out that ONLY sprayed gmo strawberries and corn cause him these issues. The food we get at our local, organic, no spray farm is perfectly fine for him. He also has allergies to gluten, dairy, egg, and carrots that may very well be due to gmo issues or sprays. I have not yet been brave enough to do food trials of these foods with him yet. We NEED to know what is in processed foods and when contamination may occur with fruits and vegetables being set out at the grocer should our farm stand be closed in the off season. I realize not all election results are in at this time, but I am truly saddened to see so many Californians voting against my child's health and safety. Do they not know that prices will only go up if manufacturers choose to charge more? Do they not know that the packages are constantly changing anyway so no higher costs will be incurred due to the addition of gmo warnings on labels? I hope that when I wake up in the morning, California will be safer for my children but I am not so sure that will happen. Thank you to those who did take the time to research and vote. To those who did not, I hope the next time this topic crosses your path, you remember my son and how this issue directly affects so many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment