Sunday, October 17, 2010

Some Friend

So I met a friend, probably more of an acquaintance now, several years ago through another mutual friend. She started working in the room next to me so I took it upon myself to meet her before the school year started. Her kids were close in age to my kids and she had many of the same values that my family has as well. We ended up getting along very well and sometimes got together on the weekends with the fam.:) We even took overlapping vacations one summer so we could hang out here and there when the husbands were off doing something else. So, last year I started to get a weird vibe from her. I think she wants to be great friends, but keeps making choices that keep me from wanting to spend time with her.

For example, her family was invited to my child's birthday and she accepted the invite a month in advance. My children were super excited since they get along with her kids. The day of the party  I got a message from her saying that her hubby had promised the kids a trip elsewhere and she wasn't going to go against what he said even though the family calendar said they would be at the party. My kids were so sad. Other co-workers/friends who we are close with also were shocked because they didn't expect her to do something like that.

Then, my work friends threw a baby shower. She was an integral part. Her husband called and was frantic about something and even though the call occurred during work hours she left the others to set up and throw the party and went to deal with the husband's issue. I was definitely sad, probably bc I was still hurt over the birthday she didn't come to and partially bc of my hormones.

After that she insisted on the details of why we wouldn't circumcise our baby. She had done it to her kid bc the dad wanted him to look like the dad, bleck! Anyway I held my tongue bc my mother in law was there which probably saved the friendship or what is left of it.

So recently my child tested into a "higher level" thinking program at school and had an IQ test. This friend interrupted my class getting back from PE to find out what my kid's IQ was. I don't think that is anyone's business. If my other kids are tested I don't want for them to feel bad if they don't have the same IQ.

So I am frustrated with this friend who can't be there for the important stuff even when she says she will be there, but wants to know intimate details when I am very obviously not comfortable discussing these with her when things are the way they are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment